In recent blog posts, I’ve focused on the client-side of the solution equation– whether the client-side survey technology being used is device-based, mobile-web, online or even paper. We’ve recently discussed the advantages of having a resident survey apps installed on the actual device opposed to going with a more limited mobile-web or online solution – although there are definitely times when mobile-web is a great solution. In this post I’ll be discussing the myriad ways an enterprise level back-end portal can leverage the real-time streaming data pouring in from all the mixed-mode data collection touch points. For example, in addition to the actual survey responses being recorded, our TouchPoint Mobile survey app also captures by default the following data points: Time, Date, Duration, GPS Coordinates as well as any media captured during the survey process (images, video, sound recording). This provides our enterprise feedback platform (a.k.a. The SurveyManager), with a terrific amount of rich data to feed into our analytics engine. In fact, we even have Google Maps integrated into our reports so that clients can view the location’s geographic details for every survey taken.
Additional advantages to real-time access to point-of-experience data:
Real-time data transmission vs. Scheduled uploads (batch uploads): When you have a mobile survey app installed on the device, you then have the option of when and how your survey data is uploaded to the web-portal.
- Real-time – Persistent Connectivity
- Scheduled Upload – batch upload at specific time of day
- Offline survey app capabilities – It’s also worth pointing out that local survey apps are not dependent on an internet connection to function. If the app detects a weak or non-existent Internet connection the survey data is stored locally on the device and transmitted when connectivity resumes.
Push or Pull Reporting: Now that you have data pouring into your web-portal in real-time, you can choose to generate and deliver reports in a number of ways. Keep in mind that all the reports are available in multiple formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF even Web.
- Push Reports on a Scheduled basis: when pushing reports, you simply create your report once and then schedule it for delivery whenever you want, to whomever you want and in any of the aforementioned formats you want! This means you can customize your own report and save it as a template and then have it delivered by email attachment to an unlimited number of individuals. You can even tell the system to reach back historically as far as you wish to include whatever data set you wish in the report. Pretty cool!
- Pull Reports – on-demand access: in addition to automating the delivery of your customized reports (i.e. pushing reports outlined just above), you can of course login to your account at any time and view or generate reports that include up to the moment survey data.
Real-time Satisfaction Alerts and Service Recovery: the system allows you to set trigger points within your survey instrument that when triggered – a real-time alert containing the survey question and responses, time/date and location details of the survey are sent via email or SMS text to any number of responsible individuals (or up the chain of command). This initiates a “service recovery” process. The SurveyManager also has a built in alert management module that enables managers to track the service recovery process (from alert to resolution and track their comments and notes for future reference).
Remote monitoring for support purposes: an often overlooked advantage to real-time access to mobile survey devises and survey kiosks is remote support. Our support engineers can establish a remote session and control the device in the field. This provides enormous support value, allowing support engineers to remotely manage and maintain survey devices in the field.